Buildings and Churchyard
St Andrew's Church
St Andrew's Church lies away from the centre of the village and is medieval, partially rebuilt in Victorian times. It is a pretty church with a tower, set in its churchyard and surrounded by 12 lime trees. The churchyard, which is still open, is famous for its snowdrops which we know have been around for over 200 years. It is carefully managed to ensure biodiversity and the continued thriving of the natural habitat.
Inside the church is open, light and well cared for. At the time of the Commonwealth, dowsing on behalf of the Parliamentarians destroyed the ‘sacred images’ in many village churches around Toft, and this included all St Andrew’s stained glass windows. The glazing of the early 20th century allows the church to fill with sunlight. The two small side aisles are separated from the nave by three columns on either side and there is a beautiful wooden medieval roof. No rood screen, thanks to dowsing, gives the church a ‘wholeness’.
Toft Methodist Chapel
The foundation stone for a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Toft was laid on 10th June 1862. The congregation would have been mainly farm workers and their wives and one or two local farming families. The minister would have visited once a month, so that a Service of Holy Communion could take place. Other services were mainly taken by local preachers. To accommodate growing congregations the Chapel was expanded substantially in both 1940 and 1980.
Considerable additional resource has been deployed to ensure the building is light, accessible, warm and welcoming. There are accessible toilets, baby changing and ample free parking alongside the chapel. There is an Organ and Digital Piano. The Methodist Worship Book provides the formal service formats. As part of their outreach mission, the Stewards encourage use of the Chapel by local organisations. Toft Methodist Chapel has also recently achieved Eco Church status.